The aim of this section is to provide you with information about how to look after your home, what improvements you can make and how CCHA can help you make appropriate adaptions to your home.
Making alterations to your home
CCHA welcome residents to make the property they rent, their home. Therefore, we understand that residents may want to make some alterations to their property. However, you must not carry out any improvements or alterations to your home without obtaining our prior written consent. Examples of improvements and alterations that you may wish to make to your home include:
- Decorating the outside of your home
- Altering, adding or removing fixtures and fittings including kitchen and bathroom units, fires and showers
- Installing a television aerial or satellite dish
- Installing laminate flooring
- Removing or altering fencing or external walls (including to create a parking space)
- Flagging a garden or yard (or any part of either)
- Installing a shed
- Anything that affects the structure of your home
- Installing external structures, including housing for animals
Making improvements Making improvements to your home is subject to you having first obtained our written consent, and all of the other necessary approvals, such as planning permission or building regulation approval, copies of which you will be required to provide to us at your own cost. We will not unreasonably withhold our consent, however we will make it conditional upon the work being carried out to an acceptable standard.
Simple repairs We understand that some residents prefer to complete their own basic repairs, for example tightening a door handle. This is acceptable to CCHA as long as the following guidelines are followed.
Rules for alterations and simple repairs The simple rules that must be followed to complete alterations or repairs are; 1. The works are carried out by competent/qualified tradesmen.
2. All certification, electrics, gas etc. must be available and all relevant regulations adhered to.
3. Any and all future maintenance/repair costs in respect of this alteration are the responsibility of the tenant.
4. Final approval can only be given once the finished works have been inspected and passed. If the works are not to CCHA’s standard you may be asked to make good or in default of this the Association will make the works good and will then recharge you.
5. In the event of your vacation of the property, unless the incoming tenant is prepared to accept the alteration, the alteration is either:- (a) Removed by you, and the property made good to the Association’s satisfaction; (b) Any fixtures and fittings being the subject of this alteration are removed and replaced with standard fixtures and fittings to the Association’s satisfaction or in default of this the Association will make the works good and will then recharge you.
6. Works may be subject to inspection by a CCHA Property Surveyor.
Laminate Flooring If we give you permission to install laminate flooring (whether in a flat or a house), you are agreeing to take it up (at our request), or allow us to take it up, if we need to do so to inspect or carry out work to your home. If we take it up, we will not be responsible for refitting it, making good or replacing it.
Aids & Adaptations
CCHA is committed to meeting the needs of its residents to support where practicable, independent living in their homes with privacy and dignity for as long as possible.
CCHA will in providing this service consider the adequacy of the accommodation in relation to the individual, along with the nature of the particular property in order to maintain the value of the property/asset to the association.
Applications can be received from Occupational Therapists, GPs or directly from a customer or their appointed representative, in writing.
The CCHA Adaptations Team will assess the application on an individual basis in relation to the tenancy, and property in question, to allow us to deliver a high-quality service to our residents. Each application is then categorised into either a minor or major adaptation request.
Aids & Adaptations Form
If you would like to make an Aids & Adaptations enquiry, please use our designated form.
We work in cooperation with the Northern Housing Consortium to promote an affordable home contents policy. To apply, please use the application form below. You can also contact the insurance provider directly on 0345 671 8172.