Paying your rent

Alternative ways of paying rent

Paying your rent

We would like to assure you that the health and wellbeing of our residents and staff is Castles & Coasts (CCHA) first priority, in addition to continuing to provide critical services. We have received a number of queries from residents asking for alternative ways to pay their rent rather than visiting PayPoint outlets or Post Offices, please see below for alternative ways to pay:

• Use the Allpay secure online website at using your 19-digit Payment Reference Number (PRN)
• Call our 24-hour automated telephone line by dialling 0330 0416497 using your 19-digit PRN
• Mobile App- the Allpay App is available on both Apple and Android devices, use your 19-digit PRN
• Online Residents’ Portal- make payments anytime day or night using your debit card by signing up to our Residents’ Portal - select the link below
• Bank Transfer/Standing order- send your payment to Account No: 90866105 and Sort Code: 20-18-62, quote your Tenancy Reference number as the payment reference
• Set up a Direct Debit by contacting the Income Team

If your ability to make rent payments has been affected in anyway by Coronavirus (COVID-19) please get in touch with the Income Team on 01228 635492. We can offer advice including what benefits you could claim to try and ease any impact on your finances.