Support information during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic

Support information during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic

Many people are finding their income affected by the effects of COVID-19 due to working less hours, not working at all, self-isolating or social distancing.

This may have an impact upon your ability to pay rent.  You are still liable to pay rent during this time, however, if you feel you will struggle and would like some guidance through this difficult time please contact the Income Team on 0800 085 1171.  We are available to help you.

The income alternatives available to you will depend on your individual circumstances.  The government has set up a job retention scheme and will finance 80% of your wage via your employer, if they retain you through a period of no work.  If this is not available, other income options are:

  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance
  • New Style Jobseekers Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Discretionary Housing Payments

If you already claim housing benefit or tax credits, please keep them informed of any changes to your circumstances to ensure that you receive the correct award.

For further details of these benefits, you can speak to our Money Advice/Financial Inclusion Officers by calling 0800 085 1171 or visit one of the sites below:

Advice for Self Employed Residents

If you are self employed and need guidance regarding the options for you and your business you should go to for details of the Self Employed Income Support Scheme, cash grants available to hospitality, hotels and leisure industries, and Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, plus other schemes.

If you are in need of help with budgeting or debts during these times assistance is available via the Citizens Advice Bureau and Policy In Practice websites above along with:

Self-Isolation Payment

You are required by law to self-isolate if they test positive or are contacted by Test and Trace. People in receipt of benefits will be eligible for a new Test and Trace support payment of up to £500 if they are unable to effectively work from home and would lose income as a result.

Awards are claimed from local authorities, application links are available on their website, with awards being backdated where appropriate.

You can apply for the new support payment if you currently receive:

• Universal Credit
• Working Tax Credit
• Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
• Housing Benefit
• Pension Credit Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Income Support