Tenancy and useful information

Below is some useful information for our residents.

If you can't find the answer to your question here, please contact us.

Resident handbook

Our Resident Handbook aims to give you everything you need to know about living in your CCHA home.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Below you'll find some of the most common questions residents ask us, along with the answers. We hope you find them useful.

Yes, you can have visitors, although you are responsible for their behaviour.

Yes.  You will be provided with two sets of front and back door keys when you become a resident. If you require more copies of keys or fobs than you are issued with, you will be required to pay for these.

We recommend that you pass a set to your family in case of an emergency.

You must not keep a pet in your home without prior written permission from the Association.  Please refer to your individual Tenancy Agreement as some agreements do not allow for pets. To make a request please contact us.

XL Bully breeds and the law

From 1 February 2024, it is a criminal offence under Section 1(3) of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 to be in possession of an XL Bully breed type without a valid Certificate of Exemption. We've added some specific guidance on XL Bully breeds here. 

We will try to accommodate any request but this may not always be possible. You must request permission from your Lettings & Neighbourhoods/Sheltered Scheme Officer before obtaining the scooter.  To obtain permission, please complete the enquiry form.

If you are having problems in your neighbourhood, please refer to our Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) section for further advice.

You can report an emergency repair by phoning 0800 085 1171.

For further information about reporting a repair, please refer to our Report a Repair section.

We have three categories of repair:

- Emergency - we aim to carry out the repair within 24 hours

- Urgent - we aim to carry out the repair within 7 days

- Non urgent - we aim to carry out the repair within 21 days

Please note, at present we are continuing to experience shortages of labour, parts and materials, which affects our contractors and means that some repairs are taking longer to complete.

We have teamed up with Royal & Sun Alliance insurance company to provide low-cost contents insurance specifically for our residents.

Please click here and then select 'Home contents insurance' to find out more. 

Please contact our Income Team who will be pleased to help you:

Email: income@castlesandcoasts.co.uk

Telephone: 01228 635492

Information and guidance on how to pay can be found here.

If you are already a Castles & Coasts Housing Association (CCHA) resident and would like to move home, the easiest way to do this is through a mutual exchange - this is a home swap between two social housing tenants. It gives you more control over the home you move to because you’re able to choose one that suits your needs in a place you want to live. There are a few options if you're thinking of a mutual exchange, and there will be certain terms and conditions you'll need to meet - these may vary depending on which route you take. Please click here for more information. 


If you are a CCHA resident and want to apply for a transfer within CCHA, please submit your application at Cumbria Choice.  Please note that applications are only accepted for residents who have a housing need of band C or above.

Our Residents' Portal allows you to keep track of your payments.

You must give one months notice.

In order to end your tenancy with us, you will need to do the following:

1. Write to us advising that you wish to end the tenancy.

2. Ensure:

a) The property is in good condition with all outstanding repairs reported

b) Any damage has been sorted (you will be recharged for any damage we have to fix)

c) Internal decoration is to a reasonable standard

d) The property is clean

3. Allow time for us to come and check that the property is in good order (this could save you from being re-charged for any repairs we have to carry out before we can re-let it).

4. Carry out any work that you have agreed with us.

5. Make sure you return all keys promptly on the agreed day (if you don’t we will charge an additional weeks rent).

6. Let us know your new address.

Contact The National Gas Emergency Service immediately on their emergency number - 0800 111 999.

We do not have spare keys to individual properties. You are responsible for arranging and paying for a locksmith. It is advisable to get several quotes first.

Once you have had your locks replaced it is a good idea to leave a spare key with a trusted friend or relative, just in case it happens again! We cannot hold keys for you.

You cannot take in a lodger without our prior written consent. We would not unreasonably refuse to give consent, but we may refuse it, for example, if you are asking for an unreasonable rent or deposit, or if the property would be overcrowded.

Information about how to make a complaint can be found here.

We want to make sure that our services meet both our published standards and your needs as residents – so your feedback is important to us. Details of how to contact our Customer Experience Team are below.

Email: feedback@castlesandcoasts.co.uk

In writing:

Customer Experience Team

Castles & Coasts Housing Association

Castle Street




Telephone: 0800 085 1171

Please see our “Looking after your home” section here for guidance.