Tenancy & Useful Information

Below is some useful information for our residents.

If you can't find the answer to your question, you can contact us direct.

Resident Handbook

Our Resident Handbook aims to give you everything you need to know about living in your CCHA home.

Gas Servicing & Safety

CCHA complies with the Gas Safety Regulations 1998. We carry out a check of all gas installations on an annual basis.

We have teamed up with Cumbria Action for Sustainability to create a series of short videos looking at Gas Servicing & Safety in your home.

Healthy Homes Advisor, Frankie O’Keefe offers advice on what you can expect to happen during your gas servicing visit, how often they occur and why they are carried out in order to keep you, your home and neighbours safe.

Is Condensation or Damp a Problem in your Home?

We have teamed up with Cumbria Action for Sustainability to create a series of short videos looking at the causes of condensation or damp in your home.

Healthy Homes Advisor, Frankie O’Keefe also offers advice on how to minimise condensation and has energy saving tips which can reduce your bills too.

These videos can be found below.

Download our leaflet on keeping your home free from condensation and damp.


Yes, you can have visitors, although you are responsible for their behaviour.

Yes.  You will be provided with three sets of front and back door keys when you become a resident. If you require more copies of keys or fobs than you are issued with, you will be required to pay for these.

We recommend that you pass a set to your family in case of an emergency.

You must not keep a pet in your home without prior written permission from the Association.  Please refer to your individual Tenancy Agreement as some agreements do not allow for pets.  To make a request please contact us.

We will try to accommodate any request but this may not always be possible. You must request permission from your Lettings & Neighbourhoods/Sheltered Scheme Officer before obtaining the scooter.  To obtain permission, please complete the enquiry form.

If you are having problems in your neighbourhood, please refer to our Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) section for further advice.

You can report an emergency repair by phoning 0800 085 1171.

For further information about reporting a repair, please refer to our Report a Repair section.

We have three categories of repair:

- Emergency - we aim to carry out the repair within 24 hours

- Urgent - we aim to carry out the repair within 7 days

- Non urgent - we aim to carry out the repair within 21 days

We work in cooperation with the Northern Housing Consortium to promote an affordable home contents policy.  To apply, please use the application form below.  You can also contact the insurance provider directly on 0345 671 8172.

Please contact our Income Team who will be pleased to help you:

Email: income@castlesandcoasts.co.uk

Telephone: 01228 635492

Information and guidance on how to pay can be found here.

If you are already a Castles & Coasts Housing Association (CCHA) resident and would like to move home, the easiest way to do this is through a mutual exchange.  You can do this via homeswapper.co.uk.  As long as there are no issues with your current tenancy, CCHA will authorise your application and joining fee.

If you are a Cumbria resident, you can also apply for a mutual exchange via Cumbria Choice.

If you are a CCHA resident and want to apply for a transfer within CCHA, please submit your application at Cumbria Choice.  Please note that applications are only accepted for residents who have a housing need of band C or above.

Our Residents' Portal allows you to keep track of your payments.

You must give one months notice.

In order to end your tenancy with us, you will need to do the following:

1. Write to us advising that you wish to end the tenancy.

2. Ensure:

a) The property is in good condition with all outstanding repairs reported

b) Any damage has been sorted (you will be recharged for any damage we have to fix)

c) Internal decoration is to a reasonable standard

d) The property is clean

3. Allow time for us to come and check that the property is in good order (this could save you from being re-charged for any repairs we have to carry out before we can re-let it).

4. Carry out any work that you have agreed with us.

5. Make sure you return all keys promptly on the agreed day (if you don’t we will charge an additional weeks rent).

6. Let us know your new address.

Contact The National Gas Emergency Service immediately on their emergency number - 0800 111 999.

We do not have spare keys to individual properties. You are responsible for arranging and paying for a locksmith. It is advisable to get several quotes first.

Once you have had your locks replaced it is a good idea to leave a spare key with a trusted friend or relative, just in case it happens again! We cannot hold keys for you.

You cannot take in a lodger without our prior written consent. We would not unreasonably refuse to give consent, but we may refuse it, for example, if you are asking for an unreasonable rent or deposit, or if the property would be overcrowded.

Information about how to make a complaint can be found here.

We want to make sure that our services meet both our published standards and your needs as residents – so your feedback is important to us. Details of how to contact our Customer Experience Team are below.

Email: feedback@castlesandcoasts.co.uk

In writing:

Customer Experience Team

Castles & Coasts Housing Association

Castle Street




Telephone: 0800 085 1171

Please see our “Looking after your home” section here for guidance.